Website performance monitoring in Oh Dear
Every site that gets added to Oh Dear will automatically have its performance monitored.
How we collect performance metrics #
Our performance collection is heavily tied to our uptime monitoring. Every time we check the uptime, we collect and store detailed performance metrics for that website.
This means the uptime monitoring check needs to be enabled before the performance monitoring check will work. Without data collection through the uptime monitoring, we can not show you any details nor alert you of any changes.
Note: you can disable all uptime alerts, so you won't be notified when you don't want to.
Performance thresholds #
You can configure 2 kinds of alerts for performance monitoring.
- Hard threshold: if the site is continuously slower than this value, we will alert you
- Performance changes: if a site is suddenly this % faster or slower, we will alert you
They both serve their own purpose and will keep you informed on the overall health of your site.
Performance metrics breakdown #
We will be able to show you the following detailed metrics.
- DNS lookup: The time it takes to resolve the domain name to an IP address via DNS.
- TCP Connection Time: The time it takes to connect to the remote host (TCP three-way handshake).
- TLS Connection Time: The total time it took for the TLS handshake to complete (cipher negotiation & encryption).
- Remote Server Processing: The time it took the server to process the request and start sending the first byte of the page.
- Content Download: The time, in seconds, it took for the page to be downloaded.
The Time To First Byte (or TTFB) is the same as our Remote Server Processing time.